International Student Scholarship
The International Student Scholarship is for current WWU international students.
Each year, ISSS awards several scholarships of about $1500 to international students currently attending Western. The scholarships are awarded in the form of partial tuition waivers which may only be used during the following academic year.
Please read the eligibility requirements and application procedures below.
All recipients of the International Student Scholarship are required to complete a minimum of 15 cultural service hours during the following academic year.
Scholarship Application Guidelines
To apply, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be an international student with non-immigrant F-1 visa status.
- You must be a currently registered (not incoming) student at WWU.
- You must be an undergraduate or graduate student who will attend WWU for at least two quarters during the following academic year.
- You must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application.
- You must maintain a full-time course of study, as stipulated by the F-1 visa regulations, during each quarter you receive the scholarship.
Please note that if you fall within any of the following categories, you are not eligible to apply:
- You are a student with J-1 visa immigration status (exchange student).
- You are sponsored by an external agency such as a home government, home university, or a private corporation.
- You have received a full-time graduate assistantship (research or teaching).
- You qualify for resident/in-state tuition
- You are enrolled in off-campus or extended programs.
Factors for Awarding Scholarships
The following factors will be used to select recipients of the International Student Scholarship:
- Scholarship application with short essay responses (no more than 500 words): 50%
- GPA, academic achievement: 25%
- Resume 25%
- Prepare and collect the supplemental materials
- Complete the application form (sent by ISSS)
- Submit the application and supplemental materials by the deadline (in mid-late May).
Note: Only complete applications with all supplemental materials that are submitted on time will be considered.
Cultural Service Hours Requirement
All recipients of the International Student Scholarship are required to complete a minimum of 15 cultural service hours during the academic year. These hours must be reported through the online Cultural Service Hours Reporting Form within one week of the activity. Some examples of activities through which students might earn cultural service hours include:
- Planning and participating in International Education Week activities
- Assisting ISSS with the quarterly International Student Orientations
- Participating in interviews and profiles for print and digital marketing materials
- Helping the Buddies Coordinator plan/host events/activities
- Organizing an event in which you teach a sport or game from your country
- Welcoming visiting international delegations
- Speaking to prospective international students
- Working with the Admissions Office to reach out to international applicants
- Speaking to local 5th graders during Compass 2 Campus visit day
- Giving a presentation about your country in the Bellingham community -- this could be at the public library, senior center, local schools, or other community organizations
- Participating in language tables or volunteering for the Modern and Classical Languages Department
- Other activities that you would like to do, in consultation with the International Student Advisor
Scholarship recipients will meet with ISSS after the scholarships are awarded to:
- Complete the scholarship acceptance form
- Discuss the Cultural Service Hours requirement.